Friday, May 21, 2010

What inspires you?

A little while back, a blogger friend asked this question.  At first, feeling completely uninspired, it was hard to come up with an answer.  Recognizing that as a problem, I spent some time on the subject. 

Here are my answers--I hope you'll share yours!

I don’t always feel inspired, but when I think of my son, it comes back. I’m inspired by the pure love I feel for him and how strong all my hopes are for his future. I’m inspired by how he is growing strong and smart and thoughtful.

I am inspired by certain music—an aria from Tosca, Samuel Barber’s Requiem, some Aaron Copeland, some Chopin—music that takes pure emotion and puts it into sound.

I am inspired by people who help others. I’m inspired when I see parents being great parents with their children. That doesn’t mean giving them everything, it means teaching, showing, enjoying, being present in the moment with their kids. It often means telling the child "no" for the right reasons.

I’m inspired by the clear and obvious turn-around of the United States in international relations and the head-of-state worldview as exhibited by our president.

I’m inspired when I see pictures of fantastic places I could visit: Machu Pichu, Iceland, Australia, and so many more.

I’m inspired at my church as we plan our building expansion.  We intend to make room for so much more ministry; I am inspired to think that we will hopefully be able to minister to more and more of our community through our activities.

I’m inspired when I fixate on a lofty goal, such as running the Marine Corps Marathon, or walking the Breast Cancer 3-day. Interestingly, the marathon would be solely personal, but the 3-day would be to raise a bunch of money for a cause. Does the goal inspire me to try to reach it, or does inspiration come from the crazy thought inside that I just might be able to do it?

I’m inspired by things growing—plants in my garden, baby trees planted/transplanted around the yard, newly rooted shrubs starting to fill out. It is a miracle I never tire of watching.

I’m inspired by a great book. It takes such work, thought, imagination, and much more to put together a well-wrought, intelligent, suspenseful (sometimes) book. I’m in awe of those who write books.

How about you?

2 comments:

  1. I'm inspired by good people. The kind that are genuinely happy for you, have no hidden agendas and are truly giving by nature.

    Doing something physical to raise $$ for causes is an amazing thing. Having done 2 physical challenges while raising $$ for 2 different charities was something I'd never forget.

    A great book is something I'm longing for these days. I was just thinking of the last time I found a book I couldn't put down.

    I'm also inspired to find the perfect bite. I love to cook and just want to find it.

    And....I'm inspired at the moment to learn to accept me as I am. Big task, but am longing to really see self in mirror without turning away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am often inspired by things I read, or people that are important to me..of course my husband, children, grands and Chance.

    I am inspired by the outdoors..almost everything in nature inspires me and lifts my spirits.

    I remain oddly inspired by reading cookbooks, odd because they inspire me, but not to cook.

    I am especially inspired by old photos, and things I recall from my childhood..at least I am inspired to share them:)

    ReplyDelete

Just type your thoughts in here--